I met Charlie Crist last night

Add your perspective to the conversation!

I met Charlie Crist last night

Postby Michael M on March 6th, 2010, 11:56 am

Last night as I was leaving a pizzeria in Downtown St. Pete, I ran into a small group of people around Florida Governor Charlie Crist who was campaigning for a US Senate run. So, I walked over waited a moment to gain his attention and shook his hand. As we were shaking hands I asked him if he really believes that the letters he sent to Jerusalem prevent hurricanes from hitting Florida.

His smile immediately dropped and he replied "Who's more powerful than God." That wasn't really an answer so asked him again to which I got a similar reply. While this was happening one of his people put a "Charlie Crist for US Senate 2010" sticker on me. Then when I told Charlie that I did not believe in God he turned beat red and ripped the sticker off of my chest. He did a 180 to start shaking other peoples hands, and turned to scream over his shoulder that he feels sorry for me.

I feel that Charlie Crist will not make a good senator. Apparently he has no interest in representing non religious constituents, in fact he does not even want their support (as evidenced by him removing the sticker from my person). He also feels no need to justify his belief that his letters can deflect hurricanes.

I urge everyone to consider this when voting in the 2010 senate election.
Michael M

Re: I met Charlie Crist last night

Postby Rob Curry on March 6th, 2010, 2:48 pm

That kind of inappropriate antagonism towards nontheist voters deserves a response. Thank you.
Rob Curry

Postby John Kieffer on March 7th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Michael ...

Your experience with the governor is right up there with George H. Bush's "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots" remark.

There are two powerful narratives resulting from your brief experience with Crist; 1) his inability to rationally justify the clearly insane "Jerusalem letters/hurricane avoidance" technique, and 2) his humiliating, demeaning reaction to being informed of your differing religious view.

On the former, that speaks volumes all by itself; on latter however, several things can be asserted:

1) Charlie Crist, the governor and chief law enforcer of our state, applied a religious qualification in regard to who his supporters can be; a sort of "religious test;"

2) If a Crist supporter is an atheist, one can now assume that an informal "don't ask, don't tell" policy applies if you want to continue to being part of his political movement, a sort of "shut up about it" suppression of one's right to free speech;

3) Ripping the political sticker off of you and turning his back on you, an atheist, is very symbolic of the intolerance and bigotry that we, as a constitutionally protected religious minority, are made to tolerate daily not only in politics, but on business and social fronts. There is no difference at all in his religious bigotry had the governor instead ripped the sticker off of a Jew or Moslem upon being informed of such. The outrage in such a case would today be headlines on newspapers across the world and, as we have seen in many cases before, actually spark violence and killings.

As an atheist and citizen of this state, I am outraged at the governor's bigotted reaction to you. It is not only a slap in your face but the faces of all the citizens of this state, and all Americans, who exercise their constitutional right to not subscribe to the governor's personal religious beliefs. Hence, as the president of Atheists of Florida, and with your permission, Michael, I will be writing a formal letter on your behalf to the governor demanding that he immediately provides you a letter of apology.

John Kieffer
President, Atheists of Florida
John Kieffer

Postby Steven Devereaux on March 7th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Every so often, I read a story that makes me want to stand up and shout "Hey! I'm an atheist, I'm a part of this nation, I'm not going anywhere, and I will be recognized!"

Michael's anecdote is one such story... and my way of expressing the above quote (which is more of an intrinsic feeling rather than an actual verbal statement) is to proudly don my Atheist of Florida blue t-shirt. I feel this normalizes people to the idea that they are walking by, or in the same room with an atheist. This is the same kind of conditioning that allows Christians to wear crosses in public, Muslim women to wear burkas, Jews to wear a yamaca, and so on. The t-shirt is also incredibly comfortable; an added benefit.

I will be wearing my Atheist of Florida t-shirt multiple times this week.

Perhaps we should all wear our blue shirts, and send a photo to Charlie Crist's office with a short note that reads, "From your loving constiuents".

Thanks for the inspiration Michael! :D
Hello? Is this thing on?
Steven Devereaux

Postby Charlie on March 7th, 2010, 7:52 pm

If and more to the point, when, you create that letter perhaps some thought should be given to making it an open letter and releasing it to the newspapers.
One thing that might weigh in against sending it or perhaps give pause to the precise wording is that I would hate to be thought of as helping Crist's Republican primary opponent, who I suspect might be even more reprehensible.
Charlie

Postby Steven Devereaux on March 7th, 2010, 7:55 pm

An amusing article concerning Crist's letter to Jerusalem, since John mentioned it.

I was blissfully unaware that Crist had written such a letter, and being the curious and questioning atheist I am, had to go research what this was all about and came across this. Enjoy :D

http://open.salon.com/blog/kuulray/2009/08/27/dear_god_charlie_here
Hello? Is this thing on?
Steven Devereaux

Postby Benjamin Geiger on March 8th, 2010, 9:45 am

Just an FYI: This story is beginning to make the rounds on the atheist blogs.

Here's an example.
Benjamin Geiger

Postby Rob Curry on March 8th, 2010, 12:02 pm

Please note also that Crist is featured prominently in this documentary about closeted gay politicians:

Outrage
Rob Curry

Postby wildsimian on March 8th, 2010, 6:58 pm

We truly are a minority, aren't we?

Coming out and telling my family I am an atheist was easy. For the large part, most of my family has been respectful.

But I am also coming to realize now that as we get further involved within the community there is almost like a second "coming out", that will most likely in all ways be greeted with antagonistic religious fervor. It's definitely something to prepare for.
wildsimian

Postby Brother Richard on March 8th, 2010, 8:19 pm

Michael,

Please get in touch with me. I would love to interview you on our podcast about this occurrence.

Thanks,

Richard

--
Brother Richard
http://lifewithoutfaith.com
http://atheistnews.org
http://atheistnexus.org
Brother Richard

Postby Michael M on March 9th, 2010, 12:01 am

Brother Richard,
I am not finding a contact for you on your web page. Let me know how to get in touch and I will.

Thanks,
Michael
Michael M

Postby Brother Richard on March 9th, 2010, 2:40 am

Michael,

I can not yet get private messages on this board either. For obvious reasons, I don't want to list my contact info publicly.

Go to this page http://www.atheistnexus.org/about/contact-information and put my name in the subject. I will be able to email you from there.

Thanks,

Richard
--
Brother Richard
http://lifewithoutfaith.com
http://atheistnews.org
http://atheistnexus.org
Brother Richard

Postby Killer Bud on March 9th, 2010, 1:59 pm

Brother Richard I would really enjoy hearing this podcast, will you post a link to it on this thread when you guys get it worked out?
Killer Bud

Postby Rob Curry on March 9th, 2010, 2:17 pm

COMMENTS SO FAR:

Rob Curry

Postby TampaMike on March 9th, 2010, 5:19 pm

I have always been a fan of Bubba the Love Sponge, and I know that atless 2 of the members of the show are atheist, and even Bubba himself is on the fence (he still calls himself christian, but doesn't deny how false it all sounds). Charlie is a friend of the show and has been on there a few times, I pass on the link to the story to one of the atheist members of the show, maybe he will read it and be interested.
TampaMike

Next

Return to General Discussion